I really *should* stop whining about why I don’t update the blog. It’s the same reasons all the time:
– I was travelling. (and the sad part is, I haven’t travelled to travel, I just end up going home or travelling across the country to see the boy and such)…
– Or then, I was ill. (Yes, Bangalore seems to get me down ever so often. I was in Pune and did a full body check-up. Just lack of Vitamin D and low haemoglobin. Nothing that can’t be fixed.)
– I was busy at work. (And even if I wasn’t, it’s not like you came in to check, right?)
All that said (as usual), I think I’ll dedicate this super quick recipe to my best friend and his girlfriend of nine years. They told their folks about one another only recently. And they’re going to be married before the end of 2014. And I haven’t stopped grinning like an idiot ever since I’ve known and every time I’ve thought about it. I am just so so so so happy for them. I know how much he’s waited. I know how long they’ve been away. And I met her for the first time only a few weeks ago. Heh, him and I, we’ve been close friends for a good eight and a half years and it is strange that his girlfriend and I had never met. But all is well that ends well.
Yay! Everyone’s growing up and settling down and in great jobs and can we all just have babies already? Or retire?
(makes 6 rum balls)
1 packet Parle-G biscuits
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Ground sugar, to taste
1/2 teaspoon coffee powder, optional
A pinch of ground nutmeg, optional
A pinch of ground cinnamon, optional
1 teaspoon dark rum, optional
2-3 teaspoons of milk (or as much is required)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (instead of the rum, if you like)
More cocoa powder, for rolling
1. Grind the biscuits, cocoa powder, coffee powder and dry spices in a jar to a fine powder.
2. Add the rum or the vanilla essence.
3. Add the milk, half a teaspoon at a time, and mix the powder till it forms a pliable dough.
4. Grease your palms with some butter and roll the dough out into balls.
5. Roll the balls in the cocoa powder and refrigerate (or eat right away).
1. You can use about the same number of graham crackers or Marie biscuits, instead of Parle-G, if you like.
2. I used rum from my stash of Old Monk.
3. Over the years, I’ve given up using sugar in food (or with my morning coffee) altogether. And no, this isn’t about eating healthy. It’s something that just happened, honestly! And with that, my addiction for all things dark chocolate. So, I didn’t use any sugar in my recipe and I *did* think the rum balls were a tad bitter – cocoa powder + coffee powder + rum. That is why I’ve suggested using sugar, in case you think the dough isn’t sweet enough.
4. You can play with ingredients to coat the rum balls with – dessicated coconut, ground almonds, sprinkles… just about anything.
5. Trust me when I say, this takes ONLY two minutes to put together. And it’s absolutely worth every second you’ve invested.
I’ll also add, the rum balls idea came up because I was craving something sweet, my cake-in-a-mug recipe, to be honest. And I don’t own a microwave, here in Bangalore. Just the OTG. I just HAD to think of something that I could put together with whatever I had at home and in under 5 minutes.
So, there’s this. And my next recipe, which is a parfait. Quick desserts make life so much simpler, don’t they!