It works when you crave good food and you’re willing to cook it yourself. Even if it’s a weekday.
Now, I know poached eggs are hardly the kind of food one would want to have for dinner. But my brain works a little differently, sometimes. And when it’s thinking eggs, it doesn’t quite bother about the time of the day.
I used my own variation of a potato patty, topped it with an egg and served it with some mashed peas and grilled tomato.
In all, a dinner well cooked and better consumed.
For the Potato Rosti:
2-3 medium-sized potatoes
1 medium sized onion, ground to a paste
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of finely chopped sun-dried/oven-dried tomatoes
1/2 tablespoon fresh crushed peppercorn
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon (dried) thyme
splash of lemon juice
salt, to taste
semolina, to coat the potatoes
water, to cook
For the poached eggs:
Water, to cook
Vinegar, to cook
Salt, to cook
For the mashed peas:
2 cups, frozen peas
Water, to boil
4-5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
salt, to taste
Unsalted butter or olive oil, to cook
1 tomato, cut into rounds
To make the Potato Rosti:
1. Boil the potatoes.
2. When they are done, peel them and mash them.
3. In a skillet, heat some oil and saute the onions and garlic until lightly browned.
4. Add the herbs, spices and the sundried tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes.
5. Add the potatoes and combine to form a thick, dough-like mixture that can be moulded in patties.
6. Grease your palms with oil and make patties with the potato mixture.
7. Lightly dust the patties in flour or semolina.
8. Bake at 200 degrees celsius for about 15 minutes on each side, or until the patties begin to brown.
Poaching the eggs:
From an older post
Making the mashed peas:
1. Boil the peas in some water.
2. When the peas are done, run them for a few seconds in a blender, to make a chunky paste.
3. Heat some butter in a skillet and roast some garlic, until it begins to burn a little.
4. Add the peas and stir well
Putting it together:
1. Grill the slices of tomato in an oven at the highest setting, or on a pan, until they begin to brown.
2. Place the potato rosti at the bottom and a poached egg on top of it.
3. Serve with a side of mashed peas and grilled tomatoes.