Name of Restaurant: Flying Saucer
Location: 328 West Morgan Street, Raleigh, NC 27603
Cuisine: Beer! (and some American food)
Time: 10 pm
What we ordered:
1. Chili Queso
2. Chicken Nachos Grande
3. Rocket Tots
4. An assortment of beers, the names of which I’ll remember only when I begin describing dinner.
About $80, without gratuity
1. Ambience: 8/10 (6 if you ask me, and 2 extra points for HOT waitresses)
2. Service: 6/10
3. Food: 8/10
4. Beers: 10/10
1. K-man and Bella are always good company. It’s just that I can’t see myself getting too drunk around them. It was a good thing McMallu came along, for that drunkard companionship I desire. Nobody got drunk. Tch!
2. The food at Flying Saucer has always been good. I’ve visited the place several times before: with my gora mushtanda fraand, with his parents, with G, with PS. The sandwiches are filling and pretty fucking tasty. The salads are basic and as good and as healthy as salads can get. The appetizers were devoured this time around.
3. Rocket tots (not speedy kids, it seems) are little potato and cheese poppers served with a sour cream dip that they usually spice up with habaneros. It makes for a fantabulous accompaniment with beers. Like bhajiyas almost. 😀
4. The chicken nachos were surprisingly good, we ended up with 2 per person. Cheese, salsa, shredded chicken and cour cream.
5. Tortilla chips served with a HUGE bowl of cheese, a medium sized bowl of queso and a small bowl of salsa. Nothing can go wrong with that. Chili Queso, for you.
6. K-man and his belle hadn’t ever been to Flying Saucer before. And as far as I could tell, they’ve never quite experimented with beers. But at the end of it, it seemed like they had a nice time.
7. The restaurant is a typical American bar. Loud music. Louder chatter. Hardly any privacy. Barely any walking space. The walls are lined with saucers – plates with peoples names engraved on them, and a quotation or something they said when they were smashed out of their brains. After having finished every single one of those 400+ beers these guys have on their menu. Obviously, not in one go. You can sign up for the UFO Club, where by you get a little card. You swipe that every time you visit a Flying Saucer, in any one of its several locations across the country and chug beers. And when you’re done with everything they have to offer, they give you a couple of hundred bucks worth of beers for free, a mini party and a plate with your name on it that goes right up on their wall/ceiling. It’s pretty cool. It’s worth signing up for. I will. Someday. I’m not even 25. I have a long way to go. 🙂
8. K-man ordered the North Carolina flight. Five glasses, each with about 120-150ml of beer. Each beer, an NC brew. I think he liked the Milk Stout the best. I like that too. In fact, Gora Fraand and I bought some of it only recently. It has a tinge of milkiness in the taste, is very dark and very strong and has a beautiful after taste of coffee.
9. Bella ordered a colourful (by beer standards) cocktail (of sorts) – The Black Velvet, it was called. Hers was fantastic, she says. Karthik verified. The funny thing is, she’s not much of a drinker. We were at FLYING SAUCER and she almost ordered a Bud Light. I would’ve died if she had. No, seriously. She DID take a look at the list of beers they have and figure that her drink didn’t figure on it. Which explains the cocktail. 🙂 But I like her. I do.
10. Her cocktail sure did look tempting, it was a pint glass filled with a beer and a cider. Immiscible. Fancy to look at. Great to taste. Here’s a day time picture of it, I got off the web.
I followed suit, with the cocktail, that is. Another one. After I was sufficiently happy with the beers for the evening. But mine sucked.
11. Ooooh. Among other things, I ordered a Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Just for the name. Nothing great. Pretty bad, if you ask me.
12. McMallu started off with the usual Allagash White and moved on to a stout, which I can’t seem to remember now. Sigh! The disadvantages of writing posts about alcohol months after you visited a particular restaurant that you got a good buzz going at.
13.There was a major muddle up over how we should split the tip and K-man and I ended up paying a shitload for a pretty looking waitress with a thick Southern accent and a really tiny skirt. Why worry? An amazing time was had.