(makes 2 drinks)
1. 16 large fresh blackberries, divided
2. 4 small fresh thyme sprigs, divided (I used a few rosemary leaves)
3. 6 tablespoons 100% blue agave silver tequila
4. 1/4 cup Simple Syrup
5. 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
6. 1 tablespoon Cointreau or other orange liqueur
7. 2 cups ice cubes, divided
8. 1/4 cup chilled sparkling wine
1. Place 14 blackberries and 2 thyme sprigs your cocktail shaker (or alternately, a bowl). Press firmly on solids with muddler or back of wooden spoon until mashed.
2. Mix in tequila, simple Syrup, lime juice, and Cointreau, then 1 cup ice. Shake well in the cocktail shaker (or simply stir the ingredients well).
3. Strain into margarita glass. Top with sparkling wine.
4. Garnish each with a blackberry and a sprig of the herb.
(Alright, you don’t see it in the picture. I was tipsy enough to let the aesthetics pass, at this point.)
1. I got this recipe from Epicurious, under: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/drink/views/Blackberry-Thyme-Margarita-238768
2. Food Lion didn’t have fresh thyme and substituting with rosemary seemed like a decent idea.
3. Simple syrup is 2 parts sugar and 1 part water, brought to a boil in a vessel, until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is nice and syrupy. It is then cooled to room temperature and can be bottled away for a week or two, if you intend on throwing cocktail parties every other day. I just made a bowl of simple syrup to last the night.
3. The cocktail was a hit. The boys liked it too. 🙂
4. Oh, I got pretty fucking drunk that night to know anything at all. Sigh! Turning 25…