Name of Restaurant: Porter’s Tavern
Location: 2412 Hillsborough St, Raleigh, NC 27607
Time: 6:30 pm
What we ordered:
1. Fried Calamari
2. Cajun Shrimp Pasta
3. Porter’s Thick Cut Pork Chop
2. Martini Blanco
1. Tahitian Vanilla Creme Brulee
2. Fallen Chocolate Souffle Cake
$ 90 (tip inclusive… meal for 2)
1. Ambience: 10/10
2. Service: 9/10
3. Food: 8.5/10
1. G heard from Morgan Stanley about his full time offer when I was at work Monday afternoon. We decided to do a fancy dinner to celebrate the occasion before he left for NY. And I decided this would be the last time I pay. Or something like that. 😀
2. I got to the library from work about 6:20 pm. G was there too. With my change for the evening. Fancy dinner, you know.
3. 6:45 pm, we walked into Porter’s. Dimly lit, fairly upscale. It felt mighty nice to walk in knowing that we’re not going to ask to split the cheque ‘x’ ways when we leave. I’m pretty high-soc, like that. Or at least I make myself out to be. We picked a table by the corner, overlooking Hillsborough Street. A light rain outside. And the perfect ambience inside.
4. Tom, our waiter, was over courteous. There was a point when G had to answer a phone call and the man stepped over to clear the table. So I let him. And he says “You’re welcome” when he leaves. And I had to say a “Thank you” after that.
5. I’ve had the calamari before, the one time I visited Porter’s with George and Ankur. Crisp. Lightly flavoured. Good stuff.
6. The martinis I ordered were divine. Potent. Especially the rate at which I drank them. Or maybe I was just really tired after a long day at work.
7. G ordered the shrimp. We were undecided between the shrimp pasta, the pan roasted salmon and the pork chop. Tom, our man, vouched for the pork. So that’s what I ordered.
4. The pasta was delightful. The shrimp were well spiced.
5. The pork chop was fairly good. It came with blue cheese macaroni, which I liked, for a change! And arugula!!!!! I LOVE arugula!
6. I asked for another cocktail but I wanted to try something different. The man asked if vodka was alright. I said yes. And he brought a Cosmojito along. It was ordinary. Orange juice and alcohol.
7. G stepped out for a bit, which is when I ordered the dessert. Because I was undecided between the chocolate cake and the creme brulee, I asked for both. They were fantabulous.
8. One of those awesome, expensive dates. The kind that happen on birthdays. And neither of us grew any older that day. One richer by a five figure annual salary. The other poorer by ninety dollars.
9. Yeah, Bourdain’s right. It’s not always about the pictures. Please note dinner was enjoyed before I got to the part of the book that I stole the excerpt from.
11. What kind of last name is Gundurao? *giggle*