The first paycheque was gotten. Paycheck, actually. Because I’m being paid American money.
I wanted to bake.
I tried new recipes this time. Menon was there too, as usual.
He’s leaving for India October 17th. I hope he finds a job when he gets there.
(yields 3 dozen macaroons)
1. 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
2. 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
3. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4. 2 large egg whites
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Combine the coconut, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl.
3. Whip the egg whites until they make medium-firm peaks. Fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
4. Drop the batter onto a cookie sheet which has been placed on your cookie tray. The macaroon will stic to foil or metal, in general. Watch your tray! Use cookie sheets!! The ‘blobs’ won’t expand, so feel free to drop them as close as possible.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and serve.
1. They’re sticky, quite unlike the crispiness I’d imagined. They’re crisp on the outside, yeah. But soft on the inside.
2. 30 minutes is too much baking time. I feared my macaroons would get burnt.
3. I’d suggest refrigerating them an hour before eating. That way, they harden.